Monday, November 23, 2015

What Physical Changes Have We Seen Harriet & M15 go thru During Mating and Nesting Season

I have been observing Harriet & Ozzie now for 3 years and M 15 for the past 8 months. I have always just looked at Ozzie & Harriet but never really Looked and understood what Harriet and Ozzie were really doing as far their day to day life's. With Ozzie's absents and with M15 showing up, I started to paid more attention to what they were doing and understanding a bit more.
To see a new bond form between Harriet and M15 from day one was very enlightening for me. To see the same things Ozzie and Harriet had been doing for years are now helping a Young Adult Male Eagle become a partner/mate and soon to be Dad.
I've had to step back and rethink all that I had seen before Ozzie's passing. There was a bond forming between Harriet and M15 the very day he showed up. Sure Harriet ran him off a few times but  M15 was very precinct in coming back to defend Harriet, E6 and the territory that is now His and Harriet's.
So now we go thru the summer and we are getting closer to the Official start of mating season. We have noticed changes in Harriet and M15. Harriet slowly starts to fill out and so does M15. What I mean by fill out is getting fuller , putting on some weight. This doesn't happen all at once it's over a period of time. So they'll need the extra weight/ fat to help keep their metabolism/energy up and to help them keep warm and the eggs too. Of course here in Florida we don't have the winters like everyone else so keeping warm is not a big issue.
We watched as Harriet and M 15 went thru a summer/fall molt but we also noticed that the feathers under M 15 and especially Harriet's tail have gotten fuller in the "ruffled pantie" area as I call it. Sorry  M 15 I know you don't have panties but shorts..LOL
I have only found one article on other birds that state that the Cloacal area does get swollen during the mating season.                                                                                                      http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.eku.edu%2Fritchisong%2Favianreproduction.html&h=VAQE7Eg1y

 So I  can 't help but think this is why we see the feathers so much fuller right now in that area on both of them but more so on Harriet. Now these are just some of my observations. I'm trying to research it but can't find any thing on just Bald Eagles.
Photo's of Harriet last year and this year showing the same fullness back there.
Harriet Oct 31/2014 Not only does this show the feathers, she's also standing on them and it also show's her brood patch.


















Harriet this year 11/17/15 See the fullness .
















Then there is of course the Brood Patch that both the male and Female get. This is a patch just under the breast in the belly area where they lose feathers and the skin will be touching the eggs to keep them warm while incubating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brood_patch

Photo from David Eppley of M15's brood patch and the fluffier tail feathers.
















NOT ONE OF OUR EAGLES ! This photo also shows the fluffier feathers at the tail area.


















We have also seen what could be sexual arousal or a show of readiness to mate by M15 . Donna was telling me one evening she was up at the nest and M15 saw Harriet heading for the nest. Not only was he vocalizing she also noticed the feathers in the brood patch area had ruffled open. Like he was displaying his brood patch to her or his readiness to mate. There wasn't mating at this time but we have seen this response to Harriet and mating since then.
I have a photo of Ozzie and Harriet last year and you can see the same thing on Ozzie just before he mounts Harriet.
Ozzie and Harriet Sept 19/2014

































 This video is from Uta Grobe ...from the SWLF  cam showing M15 with his feathers puffed out.
Arousal ?? :::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPo8IKQ5RH8
I love how they look so innocent afterwards...lol
Now again I have to remind you these are things we see and are thinking that it could be arousal or a display of readiness to mate. Researching this for just Bald Eagles hasn't produced any articles that I could find. just on other birds.  So if anyone does have some information on this I would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. Thank You.
Now it was said that M15 was thermoregulating and not a show of arousal. Here is a video of M15 thermoregulating.  There is a difference in what we are seeing
Thermoregulating::: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO9t9NFjUME

Some definitions  of thermoregulating  :::

https://web.stanford.edu/group/stanfordbirds/text/essays/Temperature_Regulation.html


http://www.klamathbird.org/images/stories/kbo/pdfs_k12_library/build_an_eagle.pdf

How do Eagles Keep warm:::

http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2012/02/it-was-hard-not-to-feel-sympathy-and.html

http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2015/02/how-do-eagles-stay-warm.html

I'm sure there are others changes that I have missed here but theses are the most noticeable ones that Donna and I have seen.
 I am by no means a Bird Biologist or anything like that. I'm just a simple person that is seeing things and trying to find answers . Oh the wonders of Nature. So many questions and not enough answers.
I hope that you all find some of this educational and interesting as much as I do. I just wish I had hard cold facts for you and not just observations that might leave you guessing and wondering as much as I am....
I know I'll be paying closer attention next mating season.


9 comments:

  1. It is because of people like you, we learn, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting info, thanks to both you & Donna for your observations & photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dee. I think your observations are excellent. Don't forget that most of the "facts" we have come to know about raptors in general and eagles in particular are based on the kind of observations you are making. Your still photos are an exceptional resource for comparing and documenting those behaviors. Have you ever considered contacting some one at a local college or university who is in the field of ornithology (the study of birds)? Perhaps, they could offer some insight on your observations or recommend some sources of information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for the suggestion. That will be my next step in finding information. :)

      Delete
  4. University of Florida
    Nicole M. Gerlach
    Link to contact info: http://biology.ufl.edu/people/faculty/
    She is a lecturer in the Department of Biology, teaches classes in introductory biology, evolution, and vertebrate zoology, among others. Research focuses on the evolution and ecology of mating behavior in songbirds.

    This is just a start. 3 degrees later and having started out as a zoology major but finishing both undergrad and grad in anthropology and psychological anthro, this is how you start. Her focus may be songbirds, but then my focus was cultural anthropology, which led me to study primatology under Robin at UCSC for a quarter, who worked directly with Jane Goodall (my goddess and hero in many things).

    The finest zoology department in the country is UC Davis (I was accepted there too, but UCSC had the prettier campus...hehe) You can try hitting them up too. You don't have to stick to University's within Florida. But, I thought you might like something more local. I don't know Nicole personally, but SWFL has quite a bit of national and international popularity at this point. And, trust me Academia is all about connections. She may specialize in song birds, but be be able to connect you with someone whose focus is primarily raptors.

    P.S. Every University has a faculty page with contact info and short bio on emphasis of study. It's just a matter of taking a chance and reaching out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You very much for the info and which way I should go next looking for information. I was at such a loss looking for other ways to find studies or observations.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much Dee miss seeing you hope to get over there soon. Love our eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete